Talk to me. :)
Hi Paula! Found a couple more spam users: User:Ronnie4156 and User:KevinSeymour
Dunno if there's a Mediawiki extension for reporting pages and users, a quick look didn't turn one up, but it'd be handy. Feel free to delete this comment when you've seen it.
— rjt (talk) 06:16, 3 January 2022 (CET)
Thanks, I banned them.
Hello Paula / suggestions
I'm new here and i want to contribute to this great project.
- Prevent Spam - Often new wiki projects get flooded by many spam accounts. To prevent this, there could be perhaps a SpamRegex (see: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SpamRegex ) to add some words which prohibite adding and saving pages with included Regex words (like these domains in spam account profiles). Another option is to add simple questions to prevent spamming like: "Mastodon is a part of the ...?" -> Fediverse/fediverse.
- Enable some parser functions - I had the idea to add some templates for infoboxes, but the #if-clause doesn't work yet. Perhaps there's an option to enable this? :)
Thank you for hosting this wiki!
- 3. for the future, there might be the option to add language versions of articles by sub-sites, e.g.: Mastodon/de (German version) or "What is Mastodon?/de" with an redirect to "Was ist Mastodon?" --Cordialis (talk) 17:21, 5 January 2022 (CET)
- Hey Cordalis. Welcome to this wiki and thanks for editing.
- 1. I am using Regex words, but most spammers so far are using completely different links.
- 2. Enabled :) The infobox should now work. Note though that that is an infobox for the advanced pages, not for the "What is" pages.
- 3. I think we tried to enable language sites like de.joinfediverse.wiki/Mastodon and so on, but the installation hasn't worked yet.
Translation of Meta:About
Hi, i just translated Meta:About to German, but i can not properly translate the Mediawiki section. I think i can not publish the translation because i am not allowed to publish external links. Could you help me with that? Here is the source for the section:
Weitere Informationen zum Umgang mit Mediawiki findet man im [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Help:Contents Handbuch].
* [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Manual:Configuration_settings Konfiguration]
* [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Manual:FAQ MediaWiki FAQ]
* [https://lists.wikimedia.org/postorius/lists/mediawiki-announce.lists.wikimedia.org/ Ankündigungen (Mailing-Liste)]
* [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Localisation#Translation_resources Hinweise für Übersetzer]
* [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Manual:Combating_spam Spam unterbinden]
I have great respect for wiki founders and never get mad at them. You deserve heaps of praise. You're busy; if I can give you the start of an idea so that you can perfect it with less work, I'm satisfied. I accept that my contributions can "be edited mercilessly".
I hope you don't mind my recent Mastodon.social posts urging every instance owner to create a page on here. For simplicity, I suggest that a "Project:" page urge them to name the article exactly as the web address, but they can move it (leaving a redirect) to a unique shorter name if they like.
Now, having broken the 7-month drought on this page, I'm off to make my stroke-survivor wife some hot chocolate.
- I think that's a great idea, creating pages for each instance. Or at least those that are well moderated. I don't want to promote "free speech" instances here.
- Would you like to write up a kind of template with headlines of what info you'd expect on such pages? Then I'll start with creating pages for my instances.
- --Paula (talk) 08:41, 27 November 2022 (UTC)